Tuesday, June 1

It's all Greek to me

Everybody say it with me: pah-STEET-see-oh. You'll want to make sure you know how to pronounce Pastitsio when you tell your friends about Lawrenceville's newest deli and takeout.

Pastitsio forms part of what has become a golden delta of eateries at Butler and 38th Street. It's next door to Round Corner Cantina and kitty corner from Piccolo Forno, which has just been knighted by Pittsburgh Magazine as one of the city's 25 best restaurants.

What the heck does Pastitsio mean? A pastitsio is a mixture: a baked pasta with seasoned meat, topped with white sauce and cheese. Looks like lasagna, tastes like pastitsio. It's that hint of cinnamon that you'll remember. In Greece, it's a comfort food.

As you can see from the menu (above), the deli serves a lot more than pastitsio. The menu will evolve, with different items each week, said  owner Stamatis L. Bournias, who is known as Matt.

The deli's interior is a bright space, with a few tables for those of us who can't wait to try some shrimp and feta, or a piece of baklava.

This week, Pastitsio will be open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., but Matt plans to extend the hours soon.

And he already has plans for expansion -- outdoors. There's a lawn on the left side of Pastitsio that would be perfect for picnic tables, Matt said.

Get a little Greek. Who wants to cook on a warm night?


Pastitsio
3716 Butler Street
Phone: 412.586.7656
Fax: 412.586.7659

3 comments:

  1. Great blog. I, too, am a Larryville blogger.

    And I am SO going to this deli the next time they are open when I'm not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, thank you for the compliment! I'm adding carpetbaggery to my blogroll. The more the merrier in L'Ville!

    About Pastitsio: I'm so happy they're open! I love Greek food. I studied Greek in college. Well, Ancient Greek. I "speak" with a very old-fashioned accent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked this place out today and wrote a review on my blog. (http://www.eatinginpittsburgh.com) I don't know too much about Greek food but I loved it. The owner was also very gracious.

    Also, not to sound like a broken record but I too love this blog. My girlfriend showed it to me and so far it's been very interesting. If you haven't guessed, I'm also a Lawrenceville neighbor. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Urbanspoon.com but you should take a look at their web site and check out their "spoonbacks". You basically paste some of their code into your post and it throws out an Urbanspoon image that shows some info about the restaurant you are reviewing. This image also refers back to Urbanspoon and they review and then add your blog to the restaurant page (in this case, Pastitsio's urbanspoon page). It can give you some extra visitors and is free!

    ReplyDelete